“Landscape of Breastfeeding Support” Image Gallery
Background & Purpose
Although advocates for most health topics are able to draw upon free or low-cost, high-quality, and high-resolution royalty-free images to support their activities, historically this has not been the case for those who wish to illustrate and support breastfeeding. This situation has impaired advocates’ ability to create high-quality materials that convey information in an appealing and engaging way, on par with others’ efforts. The lack of access to such images can undermine the saliency and credibility of communication efforts. Additionally, the images that are available often fail to reflect the diversity of American mothers.
The United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) was contracted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to create a library of images to illustrate how communities across the U.S. support breastfeeding families. As part of this effort, the USBC offered a one-time competitive sub-contracting opportunity for state, territorial, and tribal breastfeeding coalitions to identify and showcase exemplary local commitment to supporting breastfeeding mothers and babies, utilizing the services of a professional photojournalist.
This project sought to capture and showcase “stories” of breastfeeding support in action across four areas that represent the primary factors influencing mothers’ infant feeding decisions. The eight coalitions that were selected submitted a vast quantity of photos illustrating: Community Support in Action, Research Support in Action, Health Care Support in Action, and Employment Support in Action. In addition to providing positive representations of breastfeeding support in action for educational, advocacy, and clinical efforts, the increased exposure to breastfeeding provided by the Landscape of Breastfeeding Support Images and other breastfeeding images is an important step toward normalizing breastfeeding.
As a result of the Landscape of Breastfeeding Support photo project, breastfeeding advocates, news media, researchers, educators, and others can now draw upon more than 10,000 high-quality, high-resolution images to support efforts to illustrate and advocate for the support that all breastfeeding families need and deserve. The photos were featured in The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding, as well as at launch events for the document.
- The United States Breastfeeding Committee (the “USBC”) owns and retains the copyrights to all Landscape of Breastfeeding Support Images in the Image Gallery, unless otherwise noted. Any time you use or arrange for use of a Landscape of Breastfeeding Support Image for any approved purpose, credit must be given to the USBC in the following manner: Source: United States Breastfeeding Committee.
- Approved Uses: Use of the Landscape of Breastfeeding Support Images is limited to the following purposes:
- Print, television, or digital news/media;
- Promotional or educational efforts (including, but not limited to brochures for health care or community programs) when the entity hosting the session is nonprofit and the primary purpose is noncommercial;
- Research and scientific purposes, when the entity conducting or disseminating the research is nonprofit and the primary purpose is noncommercial; and
- Presentations to policymakers, when the entity hosting the session is nonprofit and the primary purpose is noncommercial.
- Promotional or educational efforts when the entity hosting the session is for-profit or the primary purpose is commercial (i.e., profitmaking rather than breastfeeding education/promotion);
- Sale of materials such as books, calendars, postcards (this includes sale of items by nonprofit entities when the primary purpose is noncommercial);
- Any advertising materials and/or campaigns that promote the goods or services of commercial, for-profit businesses (this includes sale of breastfeeding-related products);
- Any use by an entity in violation of The International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes and/or subsequent World Health Assembly resolutions; and
- Any use that may promote bias or be harmful to the persons appearing in the Landscape of Breastfeeding Support Images.
Copying or forwarding the Landscape of Breastfeeding Support Images to other parties is a breach of copyright law and is strictly forbidden. Please direct interested parties to www.usbreastfeeding.org/photo-project for independent review and adherence to these Terms prior to use.
You agree to the following:
- You have read the information outlining the Background/Purpose of this Image Gallery.
- You agree to credit the United States Breastfeeding Committee for any images used from this Image Gallery in the following manner: Source: United States Breastfeeding Committee.