Connect with Us!

What do you do if your employer refuses to comply?

The U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division (WHD) says that if your employer refuses to comply with the law, you can file a complaint by calling the toll-free WHD number 1-800-487-9243 or by visiting You will then be directed to your nearest WHD office for assistance. Have this information handy to file your complaint:

  • Your name
  • Your address and phone number
  • The name of the company where you work(ed)
  • Location of the company
  • Company phone number
  • Manager or owners name
  • The type of work you did
  • How and when you were paid
  • The date of birth of your nursing child
  • A description of your concern (what part of the law did the employer fail to meet?)

All services are free and confidential. Your employer cannot fire or discriminate against you for filing a complaint with WHD.

When someone files a complaint against an employer, the WHD begins an investigation. The Federal Register Request for Information (RFI) on Reasonable Break Time for Nursing Mothers describes some of the WHD's early thoughts on the law. Section II G of the RFI states that the WHD understands that a mother's milk supply can quickly drop if she does not pump often enough, so they will prioritize violations of the "Break Time for Nursing Mothers" law whenever possible.

Find more information on how to file a complaint against your employer on the Department of Labor website.

**Continue to Next Section: Where should you go for help**

**Return to "Break Time for Nursing Mothers" Law Home**