Table of Contents
denotes a USBC member organization listing
- Designate additional research funding for studies on how to increase breastfeeding rates, the economics of breastfeeding, and management of lactation
- Key Website Features: News Room, Advocacy HQ, and Coalitions Directory
- Learning Community: Research Learning Community
- Webinar & Conference Archives: Research Coordination
Action Activities: The organization annually comments and sends a letter to government officials on overall program and research funding for public health which would include breastfeeding research though it is not specific to breastfeeding alone.
Action Activities: ASPHN’s Policy Committee submits comments and signs on to letters related to nutrition and breastfeeding research when the opportunity presents itself.
Action Activities: CGBI carries out research on many issues related to breastfeeding. News of ongoing projects can be found in the newsletter, and results of research projects are available as publications.
Supporting Link: https://sph.unc.edu/cgbi/quarterly-newsletter/
Action Activities: NICHD supports (1) the science to better understand the biology of lactation, breastfeeding, and human milk composition and function as well as (2) the science to provide the evidence base to inform recommendations regarding breastfeeding and lactation. Sample funded studies:
1) COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP FOR BREASTFEEDING PROMOTION AND SUPPORT
2) DEVELOPMENT OF THE COUPLET CARE BASSINET TO SUPPORT SAFE IMPLEMENTATION OF SKIN-TO-SKIN CONTACT AND ROOMING-IN ON POSTNATAL UNITS
3) INDIVIDUAL BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT WITH CONTINGENT INCENTIVES FOR LOW-INCOME MOTHERS
Action Activities: The Human Milk Banking Association of North America provides data to researchers to study human milk components, feeding criteria for neonates, and disease protection.
Action Activities: ICEA provides breastfeeding information on the web site for resources for both parents and profession as well as a regularly updated facebook page and blog with current, evidence-based information
Supporting Link: http://icea.org
Action Activities: Lamaze International collaborates with sister organizations (e.g., Childbirth Connection, CIMS) to facilitate and support research related to improving birth and breastfeeding outcomes.
Action Activities: The National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners Breastfeeding Education Special Interest Group conducted a survey on member attitudes toward the Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding. In addition, the NAPNAP Foundation awarded funding to a graduate student conducting breastfeeding research.
Supporting Link: https://www.napnap.org/bfe
Action Activities: n/a
Supporting Link: http://a
Action Activities: N/A