Registration Information & Frequently Asked Questions
USBC Membership Meeting & National Breastfeeding Conference & Convening
Thank you to everyone who participated in The Ninth National Breastfeeding Conference & Convening!
A post-event email with many links and reminders was sent to all NBCC registrants on June 25. Please check your email (and spam folders) from this date if you did not receive it.
USBC Membership Meeting
The USBC Membership Meeting will take place on Thursday, June 13 from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Registration for NBCC and the Membership Meeting happens via one registration form. That said, if you plan to attend only the Membership Meeting and not the conference, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for your "Membership Meeting Only" registration instructions.
Please note that, due to the membership expansion, the USBC Membership Meeting is open *only* to USBC Members. Organizations or coalitions considering applying for membership must do so prior to the March 31 application deadline in order to be eligible to participate in the membership meeting. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
National Breastfeeding Conference & Convening (NBCC)
The main conference program will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Friday June 14, and end at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday June 15. Registration for the conference includes all plenary and breakout sessions, conference materials, entry to exhibits and Thursday's Welcome Exhibits Dessert Reception, breakfast and lunch on Friday and Saturday, and all refreshment breaks.
In addition, on Thursday, June 13, all membership meeting attendees (and conference registrants) are encouraged to participate in the Regional Meetings from 5:15 - 6:00 p.m. and the NBCC Welcome Exhibits Dessert Reception from 8:00 - 9:30 p.m.
Conference Categories & Fees
There are several categories of registration, with fees as follows:
- Member Organization Representative: $325
- This category is *only* for the four officially appointed representatives of the USBC member organizations. If your coalition or organization is applying for membership, reminder that your application must be received by March 31, 2019 in order to be eligible to use this registration category for the 2019 Membership Meeting and NBCC.
- If your organization is already a member of USBC, and you have questions regarding your organization's member representatives, please contact your CEO/Division Director, and/or current representatives by clicking on their profile page in the Members Directory. Member organization leaders are responsible for assigning and changing representatives.
- Anyone aside from, or in addition to, the four member reps is asked to register using the next appropriate category that applies to them.
- Coalition Attendee (non-sponsored): $375
- This category is for additional and/or non-member representatives from the state/territorial breastfeeding coalitions (beyond the two sponsored attendees), as well as for representatives from ANY other type of breastfeeding coalition. To use this registration category, you must be attending the convening as a representative for your coalition.
- If this is not you, please review the categories for one that is a better fit. If none of the discounted categories represent you accurately, please register as an "Open Attendee," as this is the appropriate category for you. If you are uncertain, please email the planner to discuss your circumstance.
- State/Territorial Coalition Sponsored Attendee: $225- This registration category is now closed. (The CSA deadline to register was April 30. As of May 8, representing one week's extension, this is now closed.)
Each of the breastfeeding coalitions from the 50 states, DC, and U.S. territories (e.g., Puerto Rico), is asked to select two individuals who will receive travel support and a reduced registration rate as a Coalition Sponsored Attendee. Only the two individuals designated by the state/territorial breastfeeding coalitions shown in the USBC Coalitions Directory are eligible to register in this category. For details and questions about this category, please review the Guidelines for Selection of Attendees.
- Sponsored Attendees will receive this discounted registration rate as well as travel support (flight, train or mileage reimbursement). As in the past, attendees are required to stay in the conference hotel, booking and paying the hotel directly for their room.
- Note for State/Territorial Coalition Sponsored Attendees: In the event of cancellation, the attendee will be responsible for reimbursing the full cost of any travel reservations paid for by the USBC (and the attendee will bank, in their own name, the value of that ticket with the airline for their own future travel. Unfortunately, tickets cannot be transferred to another person, per airline policy).
- WIC Employee: $375
- All WIC employees, including Peer Counselors, State Breastfeeding Coordinators, or other, are asked to register using this category. If you are a WIC employee, and also a coalition member, we ask you to please register using the WIC category (same price) so we have an accurate assessment of WIC participation.
- Open Attendee: $450
- Open attendee category is for anyone that does not apply to the above registration categories.
See the Additional Event Details webpage for more information on Wednesday's Advocacy Day at the Capitol and Thursday's USBC Membership Meeting. They are add-on items to the conference registration. If you'd like to register for the Membership Meeting or Advocacy Training Workshop only, and not the conference itself, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for your registration instructions.
IMPORTANT Registration Tips and Troubleshooting:
- To register for the event, (and see all registration categories applicable to you) you to be logged in to the USBC website. If you need to set up a new user account on the USBC website or need log-in support, please visit: http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/l/li/in.
- Do not use the Google Chrome browser when registering. It has issues and glitches.
- All registration is online, with payment required at the time of registration via Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. The name and billing address in the payment (pop up box) fields MUST ALIGN with the Credit Card's name and billing address, or else it will not process. Those fields are editable.
- Lastly, upon completing the registration, we suggest you check your spam folder immediately if you don't receive the confirmation at the email address you used to register. Registration confirmation emails are sometimes diverted to spam or junk folders.
Registration questions? E-mail Conference Planner
Conference Location: Hotel Regency Bethesda
One Bethesda Metro Center (7400 Wisconsin Ave)
Bethesda, MD 20814
Refer to the Conference Hotel tab for reservation details and link to book your room in our group block. Group block deadline is May 22, but we always recommend you reserve your room as soon as you are committed to attending.
Q: When is the NBCC: Ninth National Breastfeeding Conference & Convening?
A: The main conference program will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, June 14 and end at 3 p.m. on Saturday, June 15. Please note that conference registrants are encouraged to participate in the Welcome Exhibits Dessert Reception from 8:00 - 9:30 p.m on Thursday, June 13.
Q: Where will it be held?
A: At the conference hotel, in Bethesda, Maryland. Please refer to the Hotel page for reservation details and transportation information.
Q: Who may attend?
A: The conference is open to the public, with advance registration and payment.
Q: How do I connect with a roommate? Will one be assigned to me?
A: One will not be assigned to you. If you’d like to share your room, please post a note on the event's Facebook page specifying that you have a room and would like a roommate. We recommend that you make a hotel reservation as soon as you have decided to attend, (before the group block deadline of May 22, 2019, though rooms may sell out earlier) and THEN seek a roommate. That way you will be assured of having your own accommodations at the group rate.
Q: Which airport should I fly into?
A: Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA) is the closest, and offers direct transportation to the hotel via the METRO line (hotel is located directly at the METRO stop) for approximately $4. Review METRO directions on the Trip Planner website. Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore Washington International (BWI) are also viable airport options, though these require shuttle, taxi or ride share transportation. Please note, Coalition Sponsored Attendees must have their flights booked by the USBC travel agent. See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure.
Q: Is there a free shuttle to the hotel?
A: No. The METRO connects from Reagan Airport (DCA) to the hotel, however, for a fare of under $4. See details on the Hotel tab of the website.
Q: Are children invited?
A: Yes. Please be respectful of other conference attendees' ability to hear the sessions and use your best judgment if you need to temporarily step out of the room. Continuing our new tradition from 2018, we will again have a Childcare Room where partners may watch children, and we will be seeking childcare providers, with the intention of having two providers at all times during main conference hours (excluding evenings). Please email email@example.com if interested in working or to discuss your childcare arrangements.
Please note, we do not have funding available to be able to provide meals for children or unregistered guests (partners or other family members). We ask that you either plan for their meals separately from the conference (there are two restaurants on site and many more nearby), or if you'd like them to dine from the conference buffets, we ask that you please purchase meal tickets. This ensures both that costs are covered, as well as ensuring we have adequate food and seating at each meal. Meal tickets are available in the "additional events" section of the registration process. (Breakfast = $35 per person, Lunch = $60 per person.)
Q: Is there a space for expression and storage of breast milk?
A: Yes, milk expression accommodations will be available, including refrigeration.
Q: Are meals included with my conference registration fee?
A: Yes, breakfast and lunch on Friday and Saturday, and all refreshment breaks, are included with your registration fee. Dinners are NOT included, however, many moderately priced dining options are within walking distance and the hotel has a two restaurants and a Starbucks onsite.
Please note, we do not have funding available to be able to provide meals for children or unregistered guests (partners or other family members). We ask that you either plan for their meals separately from the conference, or if you'd like them to dine from the conference buffets, we ask that you please purchase meal tickets. This ensures both that costs are covered, as well as ensuring we have adequate food and seating at each meal. Meal tickets are available in the "additional events" section of the registration process. (Breakfast = $35 per person, Lunch = $60 per person.)
Q: If I'm registering as a Coalition Sponsored Attendee, why do I have to pay a registration fee?
A: Sponsored Attendees receive travel support to attend the conference, in addition to a reduced registration rate. It is not a complimentary registration. Restrictions on the conference funding prohibits paying for food and beverage expenses, so Sponsored Attendees pay a registration fee that covers the cost of their food. Sponsored attendees are responsible for making their hotel reservations and for hotel costs, and must stay at the Conference Hotel. For details and questions about this category, please review the Coalition Sponsored Attendee Guidelines.
Q: If I am a Coalition Sponsored Attendee, how does my travel support work? What is covered?
A: See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure.
Q: Does the conference provide continuing education credit?
A: This year, the USBC has applied for Continuing Education, which are available to attendees for a fee of $75 per person (added during registration, if selected). A final announcement to those who have selected this option will have details and reminders.
- The NBCC has been approved for 17 CPE Level 2 by the Commission for Dietetic Registration.
- Application for the Continuing Education Recognition Points has been submitted to the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners.
- Continuing Education has been approved through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). CE types provided by CDC are free of charge. Download Accreditation Document and Instructions here.
Q: I am presenting a breakout panel session, table topic, and/or poster. Is my registration complimentary?
A: No. Presenters are asked to register for the conference in their appropriate registration category.
Q: May I register for JUST the Advocacy Day? (or JUST the USBC Membership Meeting)?
A: Yes. See the Additional Event Details webpage for more information on the Thursday USBC Membership Meeting and Wednesday Advocacy Day. They are add-on items to the conference registration. If you'd like to register for either the Membership Meeting or Advocacy Day only, and not the conference itself, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for registration instructions.
Q: When does online registration close?
A: June 7 is the deadline to register online. Walk-ins will be able to register on site, space permitting.
Q: Is it possible for my organization to pay by check?
A: It is possible. You will register yourself and then email yourself an invoice which you may submit to your organization for payment. Please note, check payments MUST be received by May 27 in order for the registration to be completed and the attendee to be considered "registered."
Q: What is the registration cancellation policy?
A: To cancel a registration, a written request must be received by the USBC via e-mail to email@example.com, no later than 8:00 p.m. ET on Monday, May 27, 2019. Cancellations received on or before May 27, 2019, will be refunded, less a $50 processing fee. No refunds will be granted for cancellations received after May 27, 2019. The USBC regrets that refunds will not be granted for "no-shows."
Question not addressed in the FAQ's? E-mail Conference Planner