Please note: Inclusion of an item in this e-newsletter does NOT imply endorsement or support of such item by the United States Breastfeeding Committee, unless specifically noted.
Get a limited edition "Breastfeeding Support in Action" Sticker Sheet with your donation of $25 or more this holiday season!
This Week's Featured Sticker: Family Support in Action
Each sticker sheet measures 8½" x 11" and includes four stickers (Community, Health Care, Employment, and Family) each depicting three "Breastfeeding Support in Action" scenes. The stickers are the perfect size for decorating laptops, tablets, notebooks, folders, etc. By displaying your stickers, you'll be adding to the Landscape of Breastfeeding Support: showing your friends, family, and colleagues what breastfeeding support looks like. Donate now: www.usbreastfeeding.org/donate
MCH Navigator, from MCHB/HRSA
The MCH Navigator is a centralized portal for pursuing continuous learning in maternal and child health and is designed to help emerging and established MCH professionals map professional growth pathways, locating:
- Where they are now – whether a student or an established professional
- Where they want to be – identifying the skills and competencies necessary for organizational and personal goals
- The best route to get there – linking to targeted and effective learning resources
The MCH Navigator project was launched by the Maternal and Child Health Bureau of the DHHS Health Resources and Services Administration to address the professional development needs of the field. This initiative is intended to complement, and not be a substitute for, formal institutionally-based undergraduate or graduate education programs in maternal and child health.
Survey on Use of Electronic Communication by Physician Breastfeeding Experts, from ABM
An article published in Breastfeeding Medicine describes results of a survey conducted to determine how many physicians with an interest and expertise in breastfeeding are being contacted for breastfeeding information over the Internet and to examine physicians' attitudes to these requests.
Digital Grant Guides, from The Foundation Center
Find out who's giving—and getting—grants in various fields with The Foundation Center's digital Grant Guides, available in 25 subject areas. For your convenience, all digital Grant Guides are delivered as Adobe PDF files.
Free Video Series Launch, from Bridgespan Group
The Bridgespan Group has launched a free video series, Conversations with Remarkable Givers. Initiated and led by Bridgespan's philanthropy experts, Conversations is a collection of over 1,000 short video clips, drawn from more than 50 original and private interviews with philanthropists and foundation leaders, including Michael J. Fox, Melinda Gates, Ted Turner, Jennifer and Peter Buffett, David Rubenstein, Jean and Steve Case, Jane Siebels, Darren Walker, and Emmett Carson.
Conversations is the newest component of Bridgespan's Give Smart philanthropy initiative to inform and inspire donors about how to get better results from their giving. Additional resources include:
- A book, Give Smart: Philanthropy That Gets Results, by Bridgespan Chairman and Co-founder Tom Tierney and Duke University professor Joel Fleishman
- Bridgespan's award-winning, free website
Resources on Talking to Children about Violence
In the wake of the Connecticut school shooting, we have compiled the following resources on talking to children about violence:
- National Association of School Psychologists presentation: "Tips for Teachers and Parents Following School and Community Violence"
- National Association of School Psychologists flyer: "Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers"
- American Academy of Pediatrics webpage: "Resources to Help Parents, Children and Others Cope in the Aftermath of School Shootings"