Breastfeeding Saves Babies' Lives, : 2nd National Conf of State/Territory Breastfeeding Coalitions

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - January 23, 2008

Washington, DC—One of the most important events in protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding, the Second National Conference of State/Territory Breastfeeding Coalitions (NCSBC), will be presented by the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) from January 26 to 28, 2008, at the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City – National Airport in Arlington, Virginia.

Representatives of more than 90 organizations—including a breastfeeding coalition from every state/territory and the 43 USBC member organizations—will convene to further national breastfeeding goals to improve the rates of breastfeeding initiation and duration. The Second National Conference of State/Territory Breastfeeding Coalitions, Strength through Diversity: Advancing Breastfeeding Advocacy, will focus on enhancing skills to develop effective coalitions, sharing the latest information on best practices and research, and networking.

Plenary speakers at the conference include:

Miriam H. Labbok, MD, MPH, MMS, FACPM, FABM, IBCLC, Director, Center for Infant and Young Child Feeding and Care, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

  • On Saturday, January 26, at 7:30 p.m., Dr. Miriam Labbok will open the conference with a presentation on the rationale and recommendations for supporting six months of exclusive breastfeeding, focusing on three sectors: health and health systems; social, economic and political; and media and marketing.

Joan Detz, Speaker Coach and Media Trainer

  • On Sunday, January 27, at 9:00 a.m., Joan Detz will train the coalitions on every step of creating an effective message for the media.

James M. Hudson, JD

  • On Sunday, January 27, at 1:00 p.m., Jim Hudson’s presentation on behalf of the Center for Lobbying in the Public Interest will contribute to “advancing breastfeeding advocacy” by providing training on the legal principles and legislative insights needed for effective lobbying.

Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner, Co-founder and Executive Director,

  • In the closing session on Monday, January 28, at 10:30 a.m., co-founder and Executive Director Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner will discuss the common, shared issues mothers in America face and paths toward solutions—with an emphasis on the fact that even individuals can make a big difference.

View the full conference schedule online.

The National Conference of State/Territory Breastfeeding Coalitions is financed with Federal funds totaling $166,279 or 87 percent of the total costs of the program. The remaining 13 percent is financed by non-governmental sources. Government support is included from:

  • DHHS/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • USDA/Food and Nutrition Service, Women, Infants and Children Program
  • DHHS/Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau
  • DHHS/Office on Women's Health
Recent Stories
Updated Resource: Federal Appropriations for Breastfeeding

Join USBC on our Equity Journey

2020 USBC Annual Report Released!