USBC Conference Supports Breastfeeding Through Strong Coalitions

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - January 20, 2010

Third National Conference of State/Territory/Tribal Breastfeeding Coalitions (NCSBC)
January 23-25, 2010 • Arlington, VA

Washington, DC—On the occasion of its tenth anniversary, the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) will present an event unmatched in its impact on the protection, promotion, and support of breastfeeding: the Third National Conference of State/Territory/Tribal Breastfeeding Coalitions (NCSBC). Representatives of over 100 organizations—including the breastfeeding coalition from every state/territory and the 41 USBC member organizations—will join together to further the nation's Healthy People goals for breastfeeding. The conference theme, Empowering Coalitions: Power Tools for Change, will focus on enhancing skills to develop effective coalitions and sharing best practices.

Senator Jeff Merkley (OR), sponsor of the Breastfeeding Promotion Act, will present a special address to conference attendees on Monday, January 25. On Sunday evening, January 24, a special reception will honor the Friends of USBC and host the conferment on the late Senator Edward Kennedy of the Philippine government's highest Presidential Award, the Ancient Order of Lakandula, for his outstanding service in the field of public health and breastfeeding.

Plenary speakers at the conference will include:

  • Lori Dorfman, DrPH, Berkley Media Studies Group: On Sunday, January 24 at 8:30 a.m., this session will describe recent research on Reframing Breastfeeding.
  • Katya Andresen, Network for Good: On Sunday, January 24 at 1:00 p.m., this session will discuss The 11 Steps to Success with Social Networking and the 6 Most Miserable Mistakes of Social Marketing.
  • Helene J. Dublisky, Omega Coaching and Consulting: On Monday, January 25 at 10:30 a.m., Ms. Dublisky will present Cultivating Possibility: A Reflection on How to Make Big Things Happen.

Learn more and download the conference schedule at:

Download the list of participating coalitions and organizations

The Third National Conference of State/Territory/Tribal Breastfeeding Coalitions is financed with Federal funds totaling $168,000 or 70 percent of the total costs of the program. The remaining 30 percent is financed by non-governmental sources. Support is included from:

  • DHHS / Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • USDA / Food and Nutrition Service, Women, Infants and Children Program
  • DHHS / Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau grant T79 MC00011 - University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • DHHS / Office on Women's Health
Recent Stories
Senate Appropriations Committee Advances Fiscal Year 2021 Appropriations Bills

Lactation Spaces for Travelers Expanded to Small Airports

Save the Date: National Breastfeeding Conference & Convening 2021