National Breastfeeding Month
On August 6, 2011, the USBC officially declared that August is National Breastfeeding Month. Read the Proclamation.
In recognition of National Breastfeeding Month (NBM), each August the USBC hosts a social media advocacy and/or outreach campaign inviting member organizations, breastfeeding coalitions, partner organizations, and individuals to participate in online action and conversation about the policy and practice changes needed to build a "landscape of breastfeeding support."
NBM 2021 Theme: Every Step of the Way
We envision a world in which every family is supported at every step along the infant feeding journey, with warm and coordinated hand-offs and transitions so that the needs of lactating families and those who support them are anticipated and met, every step of the way.
Created by Kerstin Vogdes Diehn of 501c Design, the artwork represents the spheres of influence in a breastfeeding family's world and the continuity of care that every family deserves along the human milk feeding journey.
State, County, and City Breastfeeding Month Proclamations
Each year the USBC requests a Congressional Proclamation to declare August as National Breastfeeding Month in the United States. In 2021, the USBC was thrilled to pilot a toolkit that individuals could use to urge their governor to proclaim August as "Breastfeeding Month" in their state or territory.
- American Samoa
- Essex County, New Jersey
- Laredo, Texas
- Lima, Ohio
- Los Angeles County, California
- Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
- New Mexico
- San Diego County, California
- San Patricio, Texas
- Skagit County, Washington
- South Dakota
- Southbend, Indiana
Every Step of the Way National Breastfeeding Month 2021 Weekly Observances
- Week 1: World Breastfeeding Week
- Theme: Protect Breastfeeding: A Shared Responsibility
- Week 2: Indigenous Milk Medicine Week
- Theme: Nourishing Our Futures
- Week 3: Asian American Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Week
- Theme: Reclaiming Our Tradition
- Week 4: Black Breastfeeding Week
- Theme: The Big Pause: Collective Rest for Collective Power